Latest News: AVAAL to Showcase Latest Innovations at Truck World Show 2024 Read Now

Avaal Fuel Card

Start Saving Todaywith Avaal Blue Fleet Card

Check Now

Types of Trucking Authorities & Permits

  • May 29, 2020
  • Madeline S.

The trucking industry can be challenging to navigate for those new to the business. There are a number of trucking authorities and permits required to transport goods across the U.S. and Canada. Our consulting services can help your business obtain all of the necessary documents, but what types of trucking authorities and permits are there? Here is a useful guide to all of the authorities and permits we can help your transportation business get.

CVOR/NSC Number: Commercial vehicle Operator’s Registration certificate, which all commercial vehicle operators in Ontario must-have.

IFTA Decals: The International Fuel Tax Agreement decal makes it easier for businesses that operate across Canadian provinces and American states to report and pay taxes on the fuel they use.

IRP Plates: The International Registration Plan is a US-based registration agreement between the U.S. and Canada that allows vehicles to have one license plate and registration that allows them to travel in all IRP areas.

Canadian Carrier Code: This is a unique 4-character code used to identify a carrier. All companies looking to move commercial goods to or from Canada are required to have one.

UCR Registration: All trucking carriers involved in interstate commerce must register as part of the Unified Carrier Registration Act and pay an annual fee based on the size of their fleet.

SCAC Code: The Standard Carrier Alpha Code is used to easily identify carriers in computer systems.

DOT Number: A Department of Transportation number is assigned by the U.S. Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to registered commercial vehicles and is required for interstate operations.

MC Number: A Motor Carrier number is used by the FMCSA to identify companies that operate in interstate freight.

BOC-3 Process Agent Filing: This is a form filed to the FMCSA to designate a process agent, which is needed in order to get authority granted.

NY HUT Registration: New York State has a Highway Use Tax for all carrier operation commercial vehicles on New York State public highways.

KYU Number: A tax license issued for the Kentucky Weight Distance Tax

NM WDT Registration: The New Mexico Weight Distance Tax registration is required for all vehicles titled and operating in the state.

PARS & PAPS Labels: A PARS label is used by Canadian Customs for importing goods in Canada. A PAPS label is used by U.S. Customs as a shipping control number assigned to all shipments needing pre-arrival clearance.

AVAAL can assist you in getting all of the necessary permits and trucking authorities to operate your trucking business successfully in Canada and the United States. Contact us today to get started.